Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29

Today at 12:25 am, after 11 years of fighting cancer, my lovely,
loving and beloved wife of 23 years, Tia, passed away. She died as she
had lived - with dignity and grace and on her own time schedule. And,
as in life, she died on her own terms - at home surrounded by her 4
daughters, family and friends.

She woke for a little while on Monday and we arm wrestled, as we had
in the past. In all the years we've been together I never won.
Usually it was because she was stronger, but other times I just let
her win. She still had strength and won the first bout. She then
grabbed my hand again for a re-match and pulled my arm so I would win.
She then took her fingers and with a significant amount of effort,
she signaled OK. I could read everything in to that gesture or
nothing, I choose to read everything. We had a unique relationship,
unconventional for sure but it was a true love story.

She was an amazing person and everyone she touched is the better
person for meeting her. We will all miss her and we will be sad for
her not being in our lives, but at the same time we need to honor her
memory and her struggle to stay with us over the last 11 years. She
was determined to see her daughters become young women and no mother
could have been prouder of her children then Tia was of Zoe, Rae, Ede
and Ava. No matter how much she loved me, her family or friends (or
even her cats), we all took a backseat by a far margin to her love for
our daughters.

Over the last few months, her family flew in from all over the country
and they were a source of not only comfort but strength to her. She
appreciated each and every visit and always asked me after her
siblings had left about how soon they could return, as she began to
miss them even as they were driving away.

We were fortunate to have my brother and his family so close by. Tia
loved the fact that every Tuesday and Thursday our "fifth child" would
be in the house for dinner and homework and on our equivalent to
Shabbat dinner (lobsterfest Friday) we had the added benefit of Kate
coming over. In addition, I don't know what I would have done without
my brother to lean on during the last year.

And then there are her friends. Too many to count and their love was
limitless. She loved, admired, respected and just had a good time
with her girlfriends. Whether they were her childhood friends from
back east, her girls from the hood, her village school moms, her
golden door friends, her phase one friends, her photo shop friends or
just her "shop" friends, she loved you all. She had more categories of
friends than I have friends. I would come home from work and
invariably some girlfriend was over visiting. They could be in the
kitchen cooking, in the gym stretching, in the media room for movie
afternoons, in her office laying out some photo design, in the back
yard just enjoying the ocean or when she got sick, even laying on my
side of the bed planning phase one events. Our home will be empty
without her presence.

Tia had two basic speeds/moods during her life - happy and pissed off.
She was rarely just sad. If something upset her, she got angry and
did something about it. She wasn't one to just sit back and let the
sadness wallow over her. She was a woman of action.

More often than not, though, she was happy. And her happiness was
infectious. It is with this thought in mind that her family will
remember her.

We are having a private family service this afternoon.

We will be sitting Shiva at 201 Alma Real Drive, Pacific Palisades on
Thursday and Friday evening from 5 to 8pm with Kaddish being said each
night at 7pm.

As most of you know, on top of everything else, Tia was heavily
involved in Phase One. This is a wonderful organization and through
their good efforts, one day we might have a cure for the cancer that
took Tia from us at much too young an age. In lieu of food or
flowers, Tia has requested that donations be made to Phase One at
www.phaseonefoundation.org or call Lissa Zanville at 310-458-7715 or
email her at lzanville@aol.com. (Truth be told, Tia also loved flowers
so she was waffling on the "in lieu of" and probably was going to have
it replaced with a request of "in addition to flowers". )

The world was better off for knowing Tia.

I love you so much

Jess


Sent from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. As I write this at the crack of dawn, I felt a presence that awoke me during my deep sleep. I knew it was Tia!!!
    Upon our first meeting, on that beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon, I knew I was in a presence of a truly an amazing woman. She transcended a wonderful energy that drew me to her. She was witty, and very welcoming. I felt the love and passion she has for her family when she spoke of them. I felt her strength a midst her illness. And I would be lying, if i didn't say that I felt intimidated to be in her presence. And on that same beautiful Saturday afternoon, I felt a shift in my identity, I knew by that meeting that my life is going to change, and CHANGE it did!

    To all her family and friends she left behind, no words can express the sympathy I carry in my heart for all of you, and yes today, we might have lost a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend, but deep in my heart and in the hearts of many, we gained a guardian angel to watch over us, as only Tia would have it, ---TO WATCH OVER US!

    Tia, you will be deeply missed and we may only hope that we may continue our journey in this world with the same love and passion you shown us. May you rest in peace and continue to shine your light on us. WE LOVE YOU!

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,
    So beautifully said as all your blogs have been. You have brought many tears to us over this past year and Tia was very fortunate that she had you in her life. Words can't express how sad our community is over the loss of Tia. She was so vibrant a sole. I am sure your lovely daughters will move forward with all that Tia embodies as she taught them how to live each day to the fullest.

    Tia, rest in peace. You deserve it!
    With much love and sympathy to you and your whole family, Michael, Carrie, Rachel,Shanna and Zachary

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite memories of Aunt Tia is at your wedding. I loved helping Aunt Tia get dressed before the ceremony, and I loved watching the two of you dance. You were surrounded by all of those crazy, costumed mimes, but you were apart in your own world. It was beautiful. We will all miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess and all the girls - I am sitting at a restaurant in Hawaii right now, and out of nowhere, I got a feeling - TIA - and went right to your updates. And just read your lovely tribute. I am heartbroken, my kids are heartbroken, but I know this past year has been an incredibly tough journey. My thoughts and LOVE are with you all - as are my children, Sydney, McKenna, Judd and Sawyer. I'm not going to be back in time to stop by while you are sitting Shiva - which I am also so upset over. Please know my thoughts, prayers and all my love are with you now - and always. The biggest hugs to each and every one of you. xxx and ooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Winters FamilyMarch 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

    I was so saddened to hear the news of Tia's passing. We were Village "sisters" - from the day Ava and Ally started Kindergarten. Volunteering with Tia was a blast - I remember agonizing over fundraiser invitations with her at your house (calligraphy or typed??) and painstakingly checking and re-checking every teacher-gift donation to be in the nearest $.05 on each check! She was fun, energetic, super-organized and a natural leader. My thoughts are with your family and Tia's legacy will live on through her beautiful daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess,

    Emily called us today as she had heard the news about Tia. I can't tell you how truly sorry we all are to hear of her passing and of your loss. We watched you, Tia and your family manage through her long illness with almost unimaginable grace, dignity and strength. We have very fond memories and immense gratitude for all that your family has done for Archer and for the community. I loved sharing conversation and some laughs with Tia over the years and her generosity, commitment and constant presence at Archer, along with you and the girls, have created an incredible legacy at the school. Our love, thoughts and prayers are with you all. God bless you. Mike, Nancy and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr. Ravich: I do not know if you remember me, but I was the family massage therapist for a few years. Sunday evenings were devoted to giving Tia and the girls massages and getting some loving from the cats. I even had the honor of attending Zoe's bat mitzvah.

    I remember your family fondly. Your girls burrowed into my heart all those years ago and never left. I have often wondered what they are doing now.

    Tia was an amazing, lovely person. During her first battle with cancer, she remained strong and sassy, even when she really didn't feel like doing anything other than sleeping. As I have been battling cancer for the past two years, I have used that image of Tia to help me find my own strength.

    Please give my love to Zoe, Rae, Ede, and Ava ... the four Ravich girls ... I still adore them.

    Warmest regards and deepest condolences,
    Stacy Westly
    staziaw@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Ravich Family,
    I am so deeply saddened to hear this news about Tia. I cleaned your beautiful home in 2008, and will always remember how Tia carefully showed me how she likes things done. She has always been on my mind because of her grace and elegance and strength. Many supportive thoughts to your family. Kelli L

    ReplyDelete